Where are the lesbian CrossFitters?

lgbtcfApparently tribes don’t have sub-tribes.

Here’s the thing: lesbians tend to befriend other lesbians. There are in-jokes and there’s culture and obviously there needs to be a manual for those who are newly out so they aren’t quite so clueless when hanging out with lesbians who’ve been out longer than them.

Here’s the other thing: CrossFitters tend to befriend other CrossFitters. There are in-jokes and there’s culture and obviously there needs to be a manual for those who are new CrossFitters so they aren’t quite so clueless when hanging out with folks who’ve been CrossFitting longer than them.

You’d think there would be a subculture within either group that would encompass the other, wouldn’t you? Well, I can’t find it. And I’m frankly baffled.

Case in point in terms of not being able to find anything: the two threads on gay Crossfitters over on the Crossfit forums were closed, apparently because people kept fighting and arguing (mostly it was trolls who don’t “approve of” the “gay lifestyle” who came in and picked fights, and the LGBT folks and allies engaged.). Now sexuality – well, specifically non-heterosexuality – is lumped with religion and politics as verboten topics over there. Just lovely. I sooooo enjoy being a banned topic. Googling turned up very little, other than the fact that most Crossfit gyms don’t update their blog software enough (holy disgusting link spam in the comments…) and that the term “gay” is still used as a very common insult. Sigh.

So I put this out there: are they any other LGBT CrossFitters out there, other than the 3 I know at my affiliate?

9 thoughts to “Where are the lesbian CrossFitters?”

  1. 1. I’m glad I got otter as the anti spam word, because if I got Maggie I might have refreshed until I got something else. She doesn’t make me feel welcome.

    2. I love Pink and she’s on TV so I’ll have to finish this later.

    (later)

    3. Now, I also am baffled. I can’t believe that I represent 25% of the CFNE LBGT (and think we should make tshirts). I also can’t believe the other 75% are all married.

    4. I love the other 75%

    5. I can’t believe pink is straight

    6. I’m not usually somebody who segregates myself… or labels other people… or ever wants to be seperate from the group… but it is somewhat a subculture. And usually in an athletic forum it is a well represented subculture. Also I’ve enjoyed the company of CFers so genuinely as a single female I wouldn’t mind a CF LGBT mixer.

  2. hmmm… knit.

    If I meet some nice lesbian cross fitters we won’t have to go country line dancing.

  3. Hah… I’ve yet to meet any lesbian belly dancers, either, although I’m sure some are out there. And the tone of my studio can be a bit heterocentric.

  4. Otter again… Thank God

    I’m not sure there is a facebook group – but lets make one. Barb – make it and invite me.

Comments are closed.