Last time I did this, I sent postcards via Postcrossing. It was fun and cool and I enjoyed getting postcards from other people all over the world, but this time I wanted to be able to send more personalized postcards. I also wanted people to be able to opt into it, so maybe I’d get to send postcards to people who I wasn’t related to and didn’t send Christmas cards to. I created a Google form that asked for a name and a mailing address. Then I sent the form out via Facebook. And the names rolled in! The first day I sent it out, 23 people signed up. The next day, another 12 signed up!
The last 10 came in on days 3 and 4.
The first postcard was mailed to a librarian friend in Holyoke, MA, and the last one to a librarian friend in Laramie, WY. Go librarians!
- CA – 2
- IA – 1
- IL – 2 (one headed to Qatar after a pit stop in IL)
- MA – 23
- MD – 1
- ME – 3
- MN – 5
- NJ – 2
- NY – 1
- PA – 3
- WA – 1
- WY – 1
Other fun facts about the postcards, where they’re going, and who they’re going to:
- The farthest postcard is (likely) going to Doha, Qatar by way of Illinois.
- The farthest postcard by zip code distance is going to Belmont, CA (3116 miles, just beating out Poulsbo WA at 3094 miles).
- The closest postcards are going 2.5 blocks away.
- Total distance traveled by the postcards I’m sending out based on zip code distance from my house is 24,744 miles – just about once around the equator!
- If I include the postcard going to Doha, the total distance will be 31,258 miles.
- One little boy is getting two postcards because both his moms signed him up without knowing the other had already done it.
- I’m related to 4 of the postcard recipients.
- I’ve lived with 4 of them.
- I’ve known 6 of them since I was 18.
- There is not full overlap between any of those three groups of people.
- I’ve never met 4 of the recipients in real life.
- I share a full birthday (day, month, year) with one person
- Seven people are librarians.
- Thirteen of them play hockey.
- I met 4 of them through Crossfit.
- Another 3 I met through playing indoor soccer.
- There are (at least) 4 knitters in the crew.
This was such a fun way to get connected with friends! I highly recommend sending postcards to people in your life, just to let them know you’re thinking about them.